Training

Monday, January 11, 2010

Rabid Raccoon - "Leave It!"


Raccoons were the last thing on my mind as my pet parent and I were walking along a remote mountain trail by ourselves. Mom started to pray and praise out loud and sing, following a spiritual prompting.  I am so glad that she did.  We heard a rustling sound in a stream off to our right. It was a raccoon with its back to us...until it turned around and started coming our way...


I heard "Leave It" as I barked at the approaching creature.  I quickly obeyed and trotted on down the trail.  This was an afternoon encounter with a rabid raccoon. My friends at PawFun shared these tips from the New York City Department of Health website so that you and your pet companions can stay safe.


This is one time when a rabies vaccination is beneficial (because they may cut your head off if you don't have it). Make sure your pet parent feeds you indoors so that you don't encounter any snacking visitors on your last potty trip out in the dark. Leave the lids on the garbage cans and have your pet parents close any openings to the house where a wild critter may enter.


Living in the moment,
Schatzi
Pet Companion to animal lover Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment